One of the most valuable things I learned as a teenager, when I first started doing makeup, is that a one-size-fits-all approach to concealer rarely works. People typically need different concealers for different skin issues, especially as they age.
As I mentioned in my previous post, I have tried so many concealers within the last six months. While none of them were great for covering persistent cystic acne, many of them had awesome qualities that made them great concealers for other targeted skin issues. I wanted to share what I found when I tried these concealers.
Everybody’s skin is different, and reacts differently to products. So my recommendations here may not be suitable for you, or mean anything to you! Finding products that work for your skin is total trial-and-error.
1. Tarte Shape Tape Counter Concealer ($27): Still my go-to undereye concealer! I love this for all-around spot concealing, and highlighting high points of the face.
2. Bobbi Brown Creamy Concealer Kit ($38): I love that this is a concealer and pressed powder combo compact, so you have everything you need right in one place. This is amazing for mature skin, as it fully covers dark circles but doesn’t settle into skin or make it look crepey. It comes in a wide variety of shades to suit many skin tones, too.
3. NARS Radiant Creamy Concealer ($30): I love this concealer for the eye area. It’s so creamy and light, it glides on skin effortlessly with the doefoot applicator, and it blends seamlessly. Overall, a great pick for the eye area and face, if you don’t have serious skin issues.
4. Urban Decay All-Nighter Waterproof Full-Coverage Concealer ($29): The formula was on the thicker side, which is why I assume they call it “full-coverage.” While it is not sheer, it’s not really full-coverage, either. However, if you have minimal skin issues and just want to even out tone, this is a great option. It absolutely is long-wearing.
5. Urban Decay Naked Skin Weightless Complete Coverage Concealer ($): Another one of the best for undereye concealing. Totally camouflages dark circles, and feels so light on skin.
6. MAC Pro Longwear Concealer ($23): Another great option for all-around concealing. I used this religiously years ago, and recently revived it an attempt to cover breakouts. It’s incredibly long-wearing, smooth, and provides medium coverage. A great option for most skin types.
7. It Cosmetics Bye Bye Breakout ($28): I had such high hopes for this, because in the past, this brand’s Bye Bye Redness really worked to conceal tough zits. This product, however, did not cover acne, and faded within hours. I wouldn’t recommend this for any skin issues, as it didn’t provide reasonable coverage and certainly was not long-wearing. Also, the formula was super thin as far as concealer goes.
8. Beautycounter Touchup Skin Concealer Pen ($32): This is nice for highlighting high points of the face but doesn’t provide much coverage.
Have you tried any of these? Which concealer is your favorite?