Gilded makeup is so festive and celebratory, which means it’s perfect for the upcoming holiday season. There is just something about a smattering of gold shimmer worn on the eye, lip, or cheek throughout the cold months…maybe it’s reminiscent of the irridescence of falling snow? Either way, it’s gorgeous, and done in subtle touches, the effect is stunning and glamorous.
After the jump, a roundup of my favorite gold beauty products.
1. Shu Uemura Painting Liner in Gold ($24): This shimmery gold liner gives a glamorous dose of sparkle to eyes. The rich color is metallic and full of depth (look at how gorgeous it is in the pot!). If you’re hesitant to jump on the gold bandwagon, this liner is a great way to dip your toes in the water. A thin line will light up your eyes and lend a sleek sophistication to any evening look. For more impact, dab it lightly in the inner corners of eyes for extra illumination. It also works wonders as an eyeshadow base; applying shadow on top will tone down the metallic effect and create a base for shadow to adhere to.
2. Bobbi Brown Long-Wear Metallic Cream Shadow in Goldstone ($22): This creamy shadow is flecked with subtle gold shimmer. Layer it on lids and forget about it, because it lasts for hours without budging. Goldstone is a pretty, pure gold tone that highlights eyes (regardless of eye color) and can be applied in a muted or dramatic manner. This is no Saturday Night Fever garishness; it’s pretty and chic.
3. Lipstick Queen Shine in Gold Saint ($22): Although the gold factor in this product is low, I am posting because I unabashedly adore Poppy King, the Lipstick Queen herself. This balmy gloss is mostly clear, with a shot of shimmery gold woven throughout. You get just a hint of sparkle when you slick it on lips; for the demure, this is right up your alley.
4. Tarte Double-Ended Lipgloss in Mimi & Roger ($19): This classic formula has been around since Tarte’s inception in 2000, formulated to hydrate lips with acai berry, goji berry, pomegranate, and acerola (high in vitamin C & antioxidants). On one end is a vibrant, sparkly gold, and on the other, a beigey sand pumped full of high shine and shimmer.
5. MAC eyeshadow in Goldmine ($14.50): Intensely gold with a metallic finish, this shadow is loaded with pigments and durable. MAC shadows are high-quality, wearable, and come to a comfortable finish on the eye.
6. Studio Gear Stardust Shimmer Powder ($14): For a perfect all-over sweep of natural golden sparkle, swirl a fluffy brush in this and glide over your body. Perfect for slinky LBDs, holiday parties, mistletoe kisses, new year celebrations…hell, wear it to Thanksgiving dinner! In the summer, sprinkle it on to look sun-kissed and radiant.
7. OPI nailpolish in Curry Up Don’t Be Late ($8): This shimmery gold polish will make your digits sparkle. Plus, it looks great while you’re holding a glass of champagne!
8. MAC Mischief Makers 5 Haute High Jinks Warm Mini Pigment/Glitter ($32.50): Packaged in a signature MAC holiday ’09 box, 5 mini vials of pigment/glitter are lined up and waiting to grace your peepers. Shades of gold and bronze all complement each other, and can be used in so many looks, well past the holiday season.