The last thing I want to do is sit under a hot hairdryer for at least 30 minutes on a sweltering summer afternoon. I’ve been giving up my straight hair in favor of these easy beachy waves, which require no dryer and give you extra free time. And they’re super easy to score!
Click through to learn how to rock them.
If you have naturally wavy or curly hair:
1. After sudsing up in the shower, pat your hair dry with an old (clean) T-shirt. The looped knit of a bath towel can catch on your hair shafts and create frizz.
2. Here’s the trick: don’t comb out your locks. I know it sounds weird, but it helps the curl keeps its shape. If your mane is especially knotty, rake your fingers through it briefly and gently to loosen the tangles.
3. Mist a sea salt spray all over your hair. I use Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray ($23).
4. Squirt a quarter-size dollop of light curl sculpting cream (a dime-sized drop if you have short hair) and rub between your palms. Run it through your hair, scrunching lightly as you work it in. I use Garnier Fructis Style Curl-Sculpting Cream Gel (approx. $4).
5. Let your hair air dry, spritzing sea salt spray onto it every half hour or so until it’s totally dry.
If you have straight or fine hair:
1. Follow steps 1 through 3 above, but be sure to do it at night. You’ll want to sleep on this look to create volume and texture.
2. Rake a conditioning mousse through your locks, gently scrunching as you go.
3. Go to sleep!
4. When you wake up in the morning, finish the wavy look by using a curling iron to bring out the curl. Twist 2-inch sections around a 1 1/2-inch barreled iron, twisting away from your face as you work. After curling, spritz on a flexible-hold hairspray to lock in your style.
How do you get your beachy waves? Share your tips in the comments!