For the past few years, I’ve actively sought out natural products free of toxins, especially when it comes to skincare. I hate the thought of putting something on my face that could potentially harm my health in the future. Kari Gran Three Sixty Five SPF 28 ($48-$75) is a lightweight, everyday moisturizer that provides broad-spectrum sun protection and a healthy dose of hydration. It’s designed to be worn every day (hence the name), as sunscreen should be.
I use this daily as the base of my makeup routine. I pat it all over my face, neck, and ears before applying any other product. Knowing my skin is protected from UV rays is super important to me (I’d like to prevent both fine lines and health issues). Doing that with a safe product gives me peace of mind.
All of Kari Gran’s skincare products, including this sunscreen, are made with natural, organic, wild-harvested and non-GMO ingredients. They’re free of parabens, toxins, preservatives, phthalates, petrochemicals, mineral oil, chemical additives, and synthetic fragrances. And they don’t test on or animals, or include animal-tested ingredients in their products. On every level, it’s a product I feel good about using.
Have you ever tried this, or any of Kari Gran’s products? Her Lip Whips are now available at Sephora!
It’s wedding season! Brides-to-be, there is a new stationery game in town, and you’re going to want to get in on it.
Your earliest chance to set the tone of your wedding is in the stationery you send. The save-the-dates and invitations are usually the initial glimpse of your wedding style that your guests see, so you want to make a powerful first impression. If you’re looking for chic, cool wedding invitations or customized bridal shower invitations to fit your unique personality, Basic Invite has you covered. (Don’t let the name fool you; they’re anything but basic.)
Basic Invite offers a bunch of unique features that you won’t find with other online wedding stationers, including “almost unlimited colors” and custom samples. They are one of the few websites that allows customers almost unlimited color options for each invitation and instant previews online. Once you select a design, you can change the color of each element on the card so you can get your piece exactly how you want it, down to the littlest detail. You can also order printed samples of your actual invitation so you can see exactly how it will print (no guessing on color) and feel the paper quality before you place your order.
All of their invitations are part of a set, so you can have your whole stationery suite in a coordinating design if you choose. They offer more than 200 sets from which to choose. The option to have your invitations, programs, menus, and thank you cards all bear a similar look can save you a headache down the line; it eliminates the need to make more choices when you’re already up to your ears in planning decisions!
They also have everything you need for your wedding day, including personalized guest booksand table placecards. If I could go back a few years and do my wedding all over again, I would definitely get a guestbook. I chose to forgo one in favor of custom blank cards on which guests were asked to write messages to us. A whopping total of 2 guests wrote us messages! I can’t help but wish we had more messages from guests on that day. I would have loved to have a personalized guestbook there. Don’t even get me started on my placecards. I slaved over them, writing the names in calligraphy in the days leading up to my wedding…like I had nothing else to do! In hindsight, ordering escort cards would have been so much easier (and time-saving).
You can also take advantage of their free address collection service to request your guests’ addresses. Share a link, let guests submit their address, and get free envelope printing, courtesy of Basic Invite. It’s included in the invitation suites.
Summer beauty should be effortless, pretty, and comfortable. I always pare down my makeup and hair routines during the hot weather, but I never want to sacrifice feeling good about my hair, skin, makeup, and nails. Here are the products that make my life easier during the dog days of summer.
Laura Mercier Illuminating Tinted Moisturizer ($44): I don’t want to wear foundation when it’s hot out (it slides melts on my skin and looks streaky anyway), so I opt for a lighter tinted moisturizer. This one from Laura Mercier has been my go-to for years; it gives radiance without looking greasy and provides nice, light coverage to even out my complexion.
Physicians Formula Butter Bronzer ($15): I’m not a fan of drugstore bronzers (they usually apply blotchy), but this one is a winner. It glides on skin smoothly, blends easily, and gives even, sunkissed color. Comes in 2 shades; I bought the darker shade for more color payoff.
Dry shampoo is one of my deserted island products; I truly cannot live without it. I use it to freshen up my roots in between washes, extend the life of my blowout, and give texture and movement to beach waves. Since dry shampoos and texturing sprays are basically interchangeable, I’ve compiled my favorites here. I would love to know what your favorites are in the comments!
1. Oribe Dry Texturizing Spray ($46): No surprise here; this really is the best for getting lived-in beachy waves with volume and body. I know the price is astronomically high, but it really does give me the texture texture and finish I’m looking for, and it really holds the volume when I spray it under my roots. Nothing else comes close, except…
2. Oribe Apres Beach Spray ($42): To me, there is little difference between this and the Dry Texturizing Spray, except that this does create a bit more of a wave in hair. I spray and scrunch it over slept-in hair that hasn’t been curled to create movement and body. But these products are so similar, you do not need both!
3. Not Your Mother’s Clean Freak Unscented Dry Shampoo ($5): If you’re looking for an unscented version, this is the only alternative I’ve found. On days when I just don’t want the smell of a product to linger for hours, or if I’ll be in the car with my husband (who is sensitive to smells), I’ll use this. It texturizes nicely and is great for freshening roots and giving hair an overall volume boost.
4. IGK Beach Club Texture Spray ($29): This smells like the beach, so right off the bat, it’s awesome. It creates more of a piecey/twisty look…like true just-from-the-beach, windblown-from-salt-air hair — not beach waves created with a curling iron. It works to enhance your hair’s natural texture.
5. Drybar Triple Sec 3-in-1 Texturizer ($26): This texturizer refreshes day-old (or days-old) blowouts, tousles hair, injects volume, and creates matte texture. It’s really lovely on waves and curls, but can be used to pump up and bodify straight hair, too.
6. Kristin Ess Dry Finish Working Texture Spray ($14): From a celebrity stylist who boasts a roster of clients whose hair I absolutely adore (like Lauren Conrad) comes the Kristin Ess haircare line, available exclusively at Target. Beachy, piecey waves are effortless with a few sprays of this (especially on ends). If you’re sensitive to fragrance, use sparingly.
7. R + Co Death Valley Dry Shampoo ($29): Bear with me: this is a very dry dry shampoo. It feels like a powdery spray. The spritz really mattifies strands, and if you use it liberally, it ends up being too much (at least on my hair, which leans toward the dry side). A few sprays is all you need for hair that looks purposely slept-in.
8. Ouai Texturizing Hair Spray ($26): From the line of another celebrity stylist (Jen Atkin, most famous for styling the Kardashian manes) comes another great texturizer. Like the other celeb-created product on here, the fragrance of this is strong (to me it’s rose-y), but the end result is gorgeous hair. If scents don’t bother you, you will love this.
I realized that in eight years of blogging, I have never written about my all-time, tried-and-true, ride-or-die beauty product. I go through phases with products and switch things up pretty frequently, but there is one thing that has remained on my vanity for well over a decade. I use this product every. Single. Day. Fekkai Brilliant Glossing Creme is the one product I absolutely cannot live without.
There is something about it that just transforms hair effortlessly. It requires zero skill; I squeeze out a tiny amount, run it through my ends, and then gently skim the surface of my hair from midshaft down. And it’s a workhorse; it does practically everything! It smooths flyaways, makes my whole mane look instantly polished, and is an excellent split end sealer. It’s AMAZING for creating piecey texture on the ends of beachy waves. Since you only need a tiny drop (I use less than the size of a pea), the bottle lasts forever.
I use this every day, and always have a back-up bottle on hand for when my current supply runs low. It is, hands down, my all-time favorite beauty product.
Staring at my reflection in the mirror recently, I noticed that my teeth were not as white as they could be. Despite regular trips to the dentist, the effects of coffee and other enamel-staining foods had started to take their toll. Thankfully, it’s never been easier to get a bright white smile. Smile Brilliant is a professional-strength at-home teeth whitening product, and they kindly offered to send me their full system. I’m so happy to share my results with you today.
This post has been in the works for four months! I wanted to make sure to fully use the system before forming an opinion on it.
So, how did it work? Find out after the jump. There are also details on a giveaway and a coupon code! Continue reading →
I’ve never been the type of person who can just fall asleep. It takes awhile, and a small army of products. I have a nightly routine that helps me get ready for sleep and fall asleep easier. I’ve learned that keeping these essential items on my nightstand can help me wind down and drift off faster. Here are the things I keep at my bedside for restful sleep.
1. Lavender Essential Oil: A few drops of this under my pillow and on my wrists helps calm my mind and prepare me for sleep. A great alternative is an essential oil diffuser; fill it with lavender oil for all-night aromatherapy.
2. Sunday Riley Tidal Brightening Enzyme Water Cream ($65): This super-hydrating water cream is like a big glass of water for my skin. I like that it’s really hydrating yet doesn’t feel heavy or greasy on my skin. It contains two forms of hyaluronic acid and tamarind extract to plump up the appearance of your complexion. I apply this every night before going to sleep.
3. RoC Retinol Correxion Sensitive Night Cream ($20): A retinol has become essential to my eye skincare routine. I love this RoC cream, which is affordable and works so well at warding off fine lines in the eye area while I sleep.
5. Kate Spade New York Spiral Notebook ($16): Sometimes when I get in bed, my mind races. I keep a pretty notebook beside my bed so I can jot down any thoughts that come to me. Getting them out of my head and onto paper helps me relax for the night.
6. Calming music: Since it takes me awhile to fall asleep, I recently started settling into bed earlier with soothing music. I like the Calm Meditation station on Pandora.
7. Glossier Coconut Balm Dot Com ($12): I keep this on my nightstand tray so I can slather on a healthy coat at bedtime. My lips are so dry at night, and this seals in moisture while I sleep.
8. Luxury Padded Sleep Mask ($5.69): I sleep so much better when I wear an eye mask because it forces me to close my eyes and totally blocks out light.
9. Clinique Pep-Start Eye Cream ($26): I keep this on my nightstand because I apply it first thing in the morning to revive and depuff sleepy eyes.
What are your go-to products before winding down at night?
Here’s a quick rundown of why this toothbrush is so awesome:
Like my other FOREO devices, this toothbrush holds onto a charge and doesn’t let go! Seriously, a full charge lasts for such a ridiculously long time. FOREO says you can get 365 brushes (6 months!) out of a single charge! I don’t know how they do it.
It makes my teeth feel really clean after brushing, and can help whiten them with continued use.
It has an integrated timer that pulses every 30 seconds so I know when to move onto the next portion of my mouth. Foreo recommends dividing the mouth up into quadrants for a full 2-minute brush session with each use.
In addition to cleaning teeth, it also massages gums.
The back of the brush head is a tongue cleaner.
The brush head tilts back and forth to reach all areas of my mouth.
The bottom of the brush handle features a light that slowly blinks as it’s charging, and stays solid to signal when the device is fully charged.
It comes with a tidy faux leather sleeve to store the toothbrush in while traveling. That’s just a nice added touch.
The standard model comes with an all-silicone brush head, which I’ve been using. I love it. The silicone is more resistant to bacteria than traditional bristle brushes, which means it only needs to be changed once a year. They also sent me a hybrid silicone/PBT polymer brush head, which is tougher on plaque, but still gentle on gums. This should be replaced every 6 months. I have not yet used this.
The toothbrush is super simple to use. Just press the center button on the handle to turn it on, and then press the + or – buttons to adjust the intensity of the sonic pulses. Then you just brush your teeth like you normally do.
Also included in the package are an instruction manual, USB charging cable, and warranty card. Foreo encourages customers to register their products so they’re eligible for the 2-year warranty if anything goes wrong.
They also offer mini and mikro ISSAs for kids and babies.
In short, I love this toothbrush! I’m so happy it’s part of my daily routine, and it encourages me to take the best possible care of my smile.
The products in this post were provided courtesy of FOREO. All opinions are my own.
Tarte’s summer collection, Make Believe in Yourself, is all sparkles and unicorns, and I’m into it. It’s packed with products that will make you glimmer, shimmer, and shine in the best way possible. Seriously, there are THREE highlighters in this collection! Not to mention metallic shadows, glitter liner, and matte liquid lipstick in a blue hue. Check out the full lineup below. All the products are limited edition and they’re sure to sell out fast, so grab them while you can!
Tarteist Pro Glow Liquid Highlighter ($29, LE): You obviously can’t have a magical collection without a serious highlighter, and this liquid version brings the glow. The creamy liquid dries down quickly and leaves behind a serious gleam that lights up skin. This comes in Stunner, an opalescent cream shade.
Spellbound Glow Rainbow Highlighter ($30, LE): For good measure, there’s also a powder rainbow highlighter compact in the mix. (And there’s still one more further down in the post!)
Make Believe in Yourself Eye & Cheek Palette ($40, LE): Nine metallic and one matte shadow in a mosaic of shades to create everything from ethereal to full-on glam looks. The circular center pan contains an eye and cheek highlighter made for strobing. Includes the following shades: myth (matte nude), magic (bronze), wings (copper), marvel (metallic sage), trance (taupe slate), fairy (metallic deep lavender), mystic (blue pearl), dream (turquoise), crystal (iridescent champagne), pixie (golden pink), believe (pearl highlight).
Tarteist Pro Glitter Liner ($20, LE): I am super stoked about this, and wish I hadn’t recently bought the Eye Jewels liner in gold, because that means I can’t justify getting this and I SO want it. This dual-ended rose gold liquid liner is literally like liquid metal, and the other side houses rose gold glitter liner for when you really want to go all out. It’s so dreamy, and super long-wearing.
Click through to see the rest of this collection (it’s totally worth a peek!). Continue reading →
Tarte launched their athleisure cosmetics collection with the launch of their Lifted Sweatproof Mascra ($21) late last year. I never wrote about that mascara, but have been wearing it nearly everyday because it holds a curl amazingly and doesn’t smudge or flake till I take it off at night.
I am seriously loving the just-launched products that they added to the athleisure collection, because they’re so practical, whether or not you spend every free minute at the gym. These products are workhorses; they’re made to throw in your bag and freshen you up between work and cocktails, or to refresh you after a workout. Most products of this nature that I’ve used in the past didn’t blow me away in terms of performance. Lifted did (it’s a pretty glam mascara!), and now I’m excited to try out these new products because I’m sure they will be my new staples.
Hair Goals Dry Shampoo ($19, LE): Note the Lifted mascara I mentioned above. This dry shampoo was inspired by the ingredients in that, meaning you’ll get volume while sopping up grease so you can rock day-old (or three-days-old, I don’t judge) hair that looks artfully lived-in. And yep, this is vegan, too. It’s limited edition, so snap it up while it’s still available!
Glow with the Faux Foaming Self-Tanner with Mitt ($39, LE): You get rich, deep color the minute you apply this foaming self-tanner, and the color fully develops in just two hours. This too is vegan, alcohol-free, and hypoallergenic, so you can get an even glow without it irritating your skin.
Tarteguard 20 Tinted Moisturizer ($36): This tinted moisturizer is a spin on the Tarteguard sunscreen that the brand launched two years ago. Oil-free, contains non-chemical SPF20, and delivers natural sheer-to-light coverage. Perfect for tossing in your purse or gym bag for during-the-day/post-workout touch-ups. It’s currently available in three shades: light, light-medium, and medium. I hope they extend the shade range to suit more skin tones.
Have you tried any of Tarte’s athleisure products? What do you think of them?