Beachy waves are gorgeous, and in summer, they’re pretty much a necessity if your hair is anything but pin-straight. But even the waviest of hair could use some help getting tamed and styled into effortless, tousled waves. These products are my favorite for creating summery waves.
If your hair has any natural wave, rough dry it (or skip the dryer altogether) and apply a bit of any of these products. If your hair is stick straight, you can pin it up into twists and let it air-dry overnight, then apply product in the morning to style.
1. Bumble & Bumble Surf Spray ($26): The O.G. surf spray. This is the product that launched a million surfer girl hairstyles, and there’s a reason it’s still around. Reach for this and you won’t be disappointed.
2. John Masters Organics Sea Mist Sea Salt Spray With Lavender ($16): This chemical-free spray does a beautiful job of creating effortlessly sexy waves. Its light lavender scent somehow manages to make your whole body feel refreshed. A high-quality product for the price.
3. ALTERNA Bamboo Beach Summer Ocean Waves Tousled Texture Spray ($20, limited edition): This product is new this summer, and it’s awesome. A light allover mist will not only give you sexy waves, it’ll make your hair smell amazing (like a cross between sunscreen and beach air). No parabens, phthalates, or sulfates, either.
4. Original Mineral Surf Bomb ($24): For a true beach vibe, this product will give your hair piecer, crunchier waves — the kind you get when salt, sand, and sun actually mix in your hair.
5. Living Proof Amp Instant Texture Volumizer ($24): If you have really fine or super straight hair, this product is for you. Work a bit of this creamy paste into damp hair, then fully dry, using your fingers to messily style. Loosely wrap sections around a curling iron to really create and set the wave, then mist with hairspray.
6. L’Oreal Paris EverStyle Texture Series Beach Waves Spray ($7): I’m gonna be honest, I don’t think this one is as good as the rest on this list, but I wanted to give you a budget-friendly option. Of the sprays that are under $10 (and there aren’t many), this one stands out.