Summer is hands down the worst time to try to have good hair. Humidity, heat, chlorine, and saltwater are all ingredients for damaged, frizzy hair. Your mane needs a little extra TLC and some key tools and products to help keep it in tip-top shape all summer long. Take a look at what I recommend.
1. Dry Shampoo. Obviously. I’m really into Arrojo ReFINISH Dry Shampoo right now, because it gives texture–great for wavy styles–in addition to nixing grease.
2. Beach Wave Spray gives an artfully-mussed beachy look in a few seconds. John Frieda Beach Blonde Sea Waves Sea Salt Spray is my go-to this summer.
3. Deep Conditioning Mask. When your hair is damaged, processed, or you spend a lot of time in the pool, a deep conditioning mask is a must. PHYTO Phytokeratine Ultra Repairing Mask is great for its intense hydration.
4. Flatiron. I’m all about resisting heat styling whenever possible, but unless your hair is naturally stick-straight, you’re not going to get that smooth-as-glass look without an iron when the humidity spikes. The T3 SinglePass Iron ($160) is an indulgent dream come true for stressed strands, as it gives you smooth, straight locks with just one pass, cutting down on damage.
5. Repairing Shampoo & Conditioner. Hair gets dry and brittle during summer, and damage repair products can really help. Living Proof Restore Shampoo & Conditioner reduce damage by creating a protective shield around each strand of hair that allows it to heal without damaging it further in the process.
6. Clipless Curling Wand. I got the Fahrenheit 4 in 1 Curling Wand with a Groupon a few years ago, and I never imagined it would be as amazing as it is. It’s perfect for creating loose, beachy waves. The interchangeable wands, at different sizes, are a saving grace: when I cut my hair shorter a few months ago, I popped on the tapered wand, and it saved me from buying a whole new iron. I love it!
8. For blondes:
A purple shampoo is a must for reducing brassiness and toning your hair in between salon visits. Aveda Blue Malva Shampoo & Conditioner are classics that work well on all shades of hair.)
9. For color-treated/processed hair:
Using a color-safe shampoo & conditioner will help keep your beautiful color true and possibly extend your time between touch-ups. Goldwell Dual Senses Extra Rich Color Shampoo & Conditioner are two solid options at a decent price point.